Life in India continues to be ever changing and unpredictable. However we continue to enjoy the envolvement in the new and unexpected things that come our way. The most recent unexpected is that of being assigned Branch President of The Dwarka Branch. The previous Branch President was called as the District President so as there are no qualified Melchizedek Priesthood holders, I was assigned the responsibility. The first counselor in the Branch had been a member only 2 weeks and the second counselor is a member since March. Needless to say I feel the weight of teaching, training and preparing one of them as the Branch President when we leave.
First Counselor and newest member in the Dwarka Branch. What do you think of our Baptismal Font? We were able to use the local swimming pool until it closed for the winter at the end of Oct. Yes there are a number of excellent, clean and modern facilities here. Life is not always a hardship here, contrary to some images most people have about living in a third world country.
The new Latter Day Saint Charities couple arrived in Oct. and we have been involved in assisting them in the transition into taking over the ongoing humanitarian projects we have been involved in until they arrived. As part of this transition and training we made a trip to Bihar to see the devastation and problems first hand with the flooding that happened there. A Dam gave way in Nepal resulting in enormous flooding in Northern India. This disaster has displaced close to 2 million people and will probably not return to normal for many, many months to come. LDSC approved the purchase and distribution of around 10,000 infant blankets so needed to help prevent hypothermia in newborns and infants. We traveled to Patna, capital of Bihar, and then to Northern Bihar to see first hand what other things could be done. The Tanners (new LDSC couple) are working on other projects for relief. Here are a few pictures of the Bihar flood relief trip.
Water was everywhere for miles and miles. There seemed to be no movement of the water and we saw only one river channel which did not seem to be flowing at all.
The Government has set up thousands of refugee camps with tents yet many people are not wanting to leave their homes, which are surrounded with water for fear of loosing cattle and other possessions.
3 comments:
I like the baptismal font thats pretty cool. What will you do now for a font? Looks like you have a lot to do and get done even though you can't do everything every little bit helps and makes a difference. love you both Elizabeth
What a work and tribute to Heavenly Father's glory! "Proud" is probably not the right word, but I can't help but beam with "pride" when I think so lovingly of my 2 great friends!
I love you,
Heidi
Diane and Reynold,
I really enjoy reading about your missionary experiences in India. Kent and I hope to be able to serve a mission someday.
Love,
Nancy Marchant
Post a Comment